Dear Cary Elementary Families,
It is hard to believe the end of another school year is upon us. Things have gone by quickly and it is always exciting for me as I visit classrooms and see the wonderful growth in learning and maturity that has taken place in our students.
Thank you to all of our volunteers this year. We enjoy having you here and you have been a big part of all the learning that has taken place. A special thanks to all the parents, grandparents, and former Cary Elementary staff members who came to help proctor our recent End of Grade tests. The testing office has let us know that End of Grade tests scores will not be ready for parents prior to the end of the school year but will be mailed out to some time this summer.
- Summer letters will be mailed to all Cary Elementary families in early August. These letters will contain important dates and information for the start to the new 2014-15 school year.
- Keep an eye on our school web site for dates and information. School supply lists will also be posted soon.
- Opening Doors to Reading – Our new carpool program for next year will look for 1 parent volunteer each day to help open doors for students in the morning. If we can get 1 parent to help each day of the year we can free up a teacher who will use the time to tutor a group of 4-5 students in reading. Stay tuned for information on how to sign up.
Thanks to everyone for another great year at Cary Elementary!
Posted in News
The last day for the 2013-2014 school year is Thursday, June 12, 2014.
Have a great summer!
The Wake County Public Library is offering a summer reading program for readers of all ages (0-5, school age and teens). Below is the participation information for school age readers.
School Age, Grades K-5:
- Children who participate will receive a bag, a reading log and an “I’m a Summer Reader sticker.”
- During library visits, children will receive star stickers when they visit a desk to share a favorite book with a staff member, attend a library program, or bring their summer reading bag to the library.
- Each week, they can receive a “Weekly Wow” when they check out three or more books. These include bookmarks, coloring posters, stickers and other themed items. Weekly Wows change each Monday.
In addition to the reading program, there will be some exciting reading events at the Cary Community Library (along with other Wake County Libraries) all summer long. Visit the Cary Library Events Calendar for a description of and to sign up for the topics below.
K-5 Super Specials
American Wildlife Refuge: Raptors
Tuesday, June 17 at 2:30
Tuesday, June 26 at 2:30
Dr. Sol Levine’s Cool Chemistry
Thursday, July 3 at 2:30
Rags to Riches Theatre
Tuesday, July 8 at 2:30
Crocks House of Reptiles
Monday, July 15 at 2:30
Wetland Weirdos with DENR’s Allie Geiger
Thursday, July 24 at 2:30
Fish the Magish
Monday, July 28 at 2:30
Additional information about the Spark a Reaction- Summer Reading program can be found at the Wake County Library site. Happy Reading!!
Congratulations to Joy Buckmier, winner of the Volunteer of the Year from the recent WCPTA Night of Stars event! The decision was a close one, as many amazing volunteers were nominated. We are very thankful for all our volunteers and the dedication to our school. Joy was unable to attend the banquet, but she received a special thank you from Dr. Merrill, Wake County Public School System Superintendent.
Wake Co. Superintendent, Dr. Merrill, holds a sign of appreciation.
A message from Cary Elementary’s PTA President:
The PTA will be using the convenient services of SchoolKidz, Inc. and their Teacher Tailored® back-to-school supply kit program. Why fight long lines trying to find every single requested item on your child’s supply list? Let us do the shopping for you!
SchoolKidz, Inc. offers brand name items, such as Crayola®, Fiskars® and Elmer’s® and Staples or you have the option to go with more ecnomical option. Each item is chosen by the teachers and is exactly what is on your child’s supply list. Best of all, the entire package comes in a reusable personalized kit.
This program will save you time, making “back-to-school time” less hectic and more enjoyable for both students and parents. We believe you will find the pricing to be very reasonable. All kits will be delivered to the school and we will let you know the exact date for pick up. Order forms will be available soon!
If you have any questions, please contact Nancy Haywood (PTA President) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The WCPSS Transportation Department will put new practices into place for the 2014-15 school year with the goal of improving bus service for families.
Changes for new families moving into Wake County:
- New families may complete a request for service when they enroll for school.
- New families must sign up by June 21 to receive first day service.
Changes for current families:
- If your child is currently not riding the bus but is eligible for transportation and wants to ride the bus next year, you must request transportation for them online starting May 30 at www.wcpss.net.
- You must sign up by June 21 to receive first day service.
- If your child is currently enrolled at Cary Elementary and riding the bus for the 2013-2014, they will be presumed to use bus service for the 2014-2015 school year and need take no action.
Please visit the WCPSS Transportation with any questions or call (919) 805-3030.
Posted in News
What: PTA Board Meeting
When: Thursday, June 5, 2014, at 6:30 pm
Where: CES Media Center
This is the last PTA meeting of the school year. Everyone is welcome and childcare will be provided!
Posted in Events
This summer marks the 18th year of Barnes & Noble Summer Reading Program. This year’s theme is Imagination’s Destination; because books can transport you to the most exciting destination—your imagination!
The program’s goal is to inspire young readers (K-6th grade) to have a summer filled with reading adventures—and earn a FREE book.
Here Is How:
Step 1. Read any 8 books and record them in the Reading Journal (PDF).
Step 2. Bring the completed Reading Journal to your local B&N store. Find a Store.
Step 3. Choose a FREE BOOK from our selection on the Reading Journal list at the store. . . Enjoy reading!
Volunteers are needed for Field Day on Tuesday, June 10, 2014!
Grades 3-5 - 9:15-11:30
Grades K-2 - 12:30-2:30
Volunteers should arrive in the gym at 8:45 am for grades 3-5 or 12:00 pm for grades K-2 to help run between 12-15 stations. All equipment and teaching cues will be provided.
If interested, please sign up to volunteer using the SignUp Genius link here.
Contact Tim Dumas with any questions.