Just like our bodies, our brains need exercise to keep them sharp! Organizations in the area like Wake County public libraries and the NC Museum of Art offer many fun programs that promote literacy and the love of reading, and help develop critical thinking skills.
Check out these FREE upcoming school-age programs at the Cary Community Library, just a short walk down Academy St. from Cary Elementary, and at the NC Museum of Art.
The Cary Community Library offers two book discussion groups for school-age children: 2nd-3rd grade Book Blast! and 4th-5th grade Junior Critics. Books are available for check out at the circulation desk. Registration is required.
2nd-3rd Book Blast!
- Next meeting – February 13th at 4:30PM.
- February’s book is “Marty McGuire” by Kate Messner.
4th-5th Grade Junior Critics
- Next Meeting – February 20th at 6:30PM.
- February’s book is “Igraine the Brave” by Cornelia Funke.
Other Special Programs:
- K-5th grade kids read, create, discover and explore through books, hands on activities and more. Wednesdays and Fridays at 4:30.
See Spot Read
- February 8th, 11:00AM; no registration required
- Dogs are patient, attentive, non-judgmental, AND they love to be read to! Beginning readers are invited to come and practice their skills with the certified therapy dogs of the local organization, See Spot Read.
For more information on any of the programs listed here, visit the Cary Community Library Website or call 919-460-3350.
Weekend Family-Friendly Tours: Storytelling in the Galleries
- Saturday, February 1, 10:30AM
- Sunday, February 2, 10:30AM
- FREE. Sign up that day; first come, first served. Meet at West Building Information Desk.
- Half-hour tours for kids age 5 to 10 and their adult companions. Join a Museum guide for a lively discussion and activities in the galleries.
The Museum also has a fun outdoor trail around the museum grounds for families to stretch their legs and view artwork along the trail.
For more information visit the NC Museum of Art website at www.ncartmuseum.org or call (919) 839-6262.